Huchuy Qosqo Trek is not difficult but wonderful option for adventurous people. It has incredible landscapes, great canyons and authentic towns rarely visited by tourists.
Huchuy Qosqo Trek is a charming route that offers great combination of beauty and contrasts in scenery, wildlife and ancient cultures. This trek takes you through beautiful highland forests and meadows covered with fresh straw where the herds of Llamas and Alpacas are walking freely through it. You’ll be starting your 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek with a crunchy walk on Andean straw decorated with Rocky Mountains.
You’ll also get to experience some of the prettiest campsites that the Huchuy Qosqo Trek has to offer. On reaching the Inca settlement of Huchuy Qosqo you’ll be rewarded with stunning views of the Sacred Valley of The Incas and the Mountain of the Urubamba Mountain range.
The 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek lies in the Northeast of the city of Cusco and is named as the balcony trekking of the Sacred Valley of the Incas, where every trekker marvels over the magnificent sceneries that the 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek offers and its unspoiled bio-diversity. According to recent surveys undertaken by one of the American Organizations, Huchuy Qosqo Trek has been marked as one of the world’s best trekking trails. Huchuy Qosqo Trek is only such region for trekking that offers splendid varieties of natural and cultural diversity with spectacular views of the Andes.
Our 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek, is one of the famous short treks but one of the most scenic trek in Peru that leads you to the Inca palace of Inca “Wiracocha”; it is very famous for been less strolled trail and see the sunrise over Machu Picchu Inca citadel. 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek will last for 3 days, which encompasses Patabamba Village on the way, the Inca Palace of Huchuy Qosqo and the misterius Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. Huchuy Qosqo Trek is suitable mostly for trekkers with kids, old aged people and the one who are running out of time yet want to explore natural beauties of Peru. Maximum elevation hits during Huchuy Qosqo Trek is at Rumicruz Pass, which is on line of 4,230 m from sea level.
This Huchuy Qosqo Trek starts in the community of “Patabamba” and end in the village of Lamay from here we drive a car to the train station of Ollantaytambo and ride the train to the town of Aguasn caleintes; the next day we’ll explore the stunning Machu Picchu. The 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek takes you to the Inca santuary of Machu Picchu
Description of 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek & Machu Picchu
The three-day Huchuy Qosqo trek is a fantastic two-day trek in the surrounds of the city of Cusco, departing from Tambomachay (the Temple of the Water of the Incas), located just 10 minutes from Cusco, leading to Huchuy Qosqo or small Cusco. This trek takes you to explore the treasure of the Andes in a short time, it’s perfect for people who don’t want to spend much time in the mountains but still want to feel the charm of the Andes.
On this “Huchuy Qosqo Trek”, we will see splendid landscapes and learn about the history of the Incas. We’ll visit Huchuy Qosqo a popular Inca town built in the highest part of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It was the great palace of Inca Viracocha, Father of Inca Pachacutec (the most important Kings in the Inca Empire). It has a stunning mountain scenery and fertile places to farm various agricultural products; at the end, we will arrive to Machu Picchu for the sunrise and explore every important place.
AT A GLANCE
- TIMING: 3 days and 2 nights.
- STARTING POINT: Cusco hotel.
- ENDING POINT: Cusco hotel.
- DIFFICULTY: Moderate to Challenging.
- DISTANCE: 30 Km
- WHEN TO GO: The best time to visit is from April until October, it’s the busy season (especially from June to August), but it’s also the dry season.
- ALTITUDE: Max 4,350 masl to Min 2,800 masl
- TEMPERATURES: From 2ºC to 28ºC
- Enjoy staying at a guest House including dinner & breakfast
- Breathtaking trail
- Witness Old Inca palace of Inca “Wiracocha
- Incredible photographic opportunities
- Guided Inca trail to Huchuy Qosqo
- Guided tour through Huchuy Qosqo Inca settlement
- Machu Picchu Guided tour
- 2 Passengers is a minimum to confirm this trek as a private tour in any new date not shown in our confirmed departures.
SHORT TREK ITINERARY
Day 1: Cusco – Tambomachay – Pucamarca
We’ll pick you up from your hotel and head to Tambomachay (10 minutes from Cusco), then enjoy trekking through the Peruvian Andes.
Day 2: Pucamarca – Huchuy Qosqo – Ollantyatambo – Aguas Calientes town
Explore the Huchuy Qosqo Inca ruins and continue the trip to Machu Picchu.
Day 3: Aguas Calientes town – Machu Picchu -Cusco
Arrival to Machu Picchu for the sunrise and we’ll explore every important place; in the afternoon, we will return to Cusco.
Detailed trek itinerary
Day 1: Cusco – Tambomachay – Pucamarca (4,010 masl)
Huchuy Qosqo Trek begins once we pick you up from your hotel at 07:00 a.m and drive to Tambomachay (3,800 masl) an Inca Temple of the Water Cult which has ceremonial fountains. From here, we are going to start hiking through the Puna landscapes and over the Sicllaccasa Pass (4,020 masl). On the other side of the pass, we will hike along a trail that leads to Ccauca Ravine and admire archaeological remains and wild crops such as quinoa.
Continue on to Queulloca Pass (4,185 masl) where we will enjoy views of a lake with the same name and the snow-capped mountains of Veronica, Pitusiray, Sawasiray, and Chicon. Continuing the trek, we’ll pass Queullococha Lake where we might see huallatas, ducks, and small fish. Then, we’ll climb towards the Challu Challu pass (4,220 masl).
Later, we’ll ascend to the fourth pass at Rumicruz (4,230 masl) to enjoy Vilcanota Mountain Range. At this point, we will have lunch before continuing to an Inca stone quarry (4,220 masl), the place where the rocks were extracted to build Huchuy Qosqo. Finally, we will descend to the Pucamarca Community (4,010 masl) where we will set up the campsite and have dinner.
- Meals: L & D.
- Accommodation: Camping.
- Maximum Altitude: 4,230 masl.
- Minimum Altitude: 3,700 masl.
- Distance Travelled: 14 km.
- Approximate Walking Time: 6-7 hours.
Day 2: Pucamarca – Huchuy Qosqo – Lamay – “Aguas Calientes”
Early in the morning, we will leave the camp and walk downhill to the Leon Punku Ravine where we will find remains of an Inca bridge and a trail. Then, we will hike Huchuy Qosqo (3,600 masl) which was an important center in the time of the Incas. From this place, we will be able to admire the Sacred Valley of the Incas and the Sacred River. Once we arrive at Huchuy Qosqo, we will have a guided tour by our experienced guide, ending about lunch time. After that, we will continue the trek to Lamay (2,800 masl) where we could bathe and relax in the natural hot springs.
In the afternoon, a bus will pick us up to travel back to Cusco where we will arrive in the evening. Later in the afternoon, our private transport will bring us to Ollantaytambo where we will catch the afternoon train to “Aguas Calientes”. Upon our arrival to Aguas Calientes, we will be directed to our rooms. You will have free time for the rest of the night.
- Meals: B, L & D.
- Maximum Altitude: 4,230 masl/13,916 ft.
- Minimum Altitude: 3,605 masl/11,860 ft.
- Distance Travelled: 9 Km.
- Approximate Walking Time: 4-5 Hours.
Day 3: “Aguas Calientes” – Machu Picchu – Cusco
On the third day of the tour, we’ll have to get up very early in the morning and catch the first bus up to Machu Picchu, Once at Machu Picchu, the tour guide will explain the meanings , importance and story of Machu Picchu while we’re gonna tour the city. The tour will take about 2 hours. After the tour, you have the option to climb up to the Wayna Picchu Mountain, enjoying everything of Machu Picchu. Afterwards, we will take a bus down to “Aguas Calientes” and we’ll catch the train back to Cusco.
- Meals: B
Huchuy Qosqo Trek Includes
- Transportation:Tourist bus from Cusco to Tambomachay, starting point of the trek and from Lamay to Ollantaytambo. Tourist train expeditions class from Ollantaytambo to “Aguas Calientes” and from “Aguas Calientes” to Ollantaytambo. Bus up and down from “Aguas Calientes” to Machu Picchu. Transfer to your hotel.
- Acommodations: 01 night at family hause in Huchuy Qosqo, 01 night hotel accommodation in the town of “Aguas Calientes” based on double occupancy.
- Entrance fees to Huchuy Qosqo and Machu Picchu.
- Meals:2 breakfasts, 2 hot lunches, 2 hot dinners; delicious meals prepared by professional chefs. Food includes all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking, hot drinks including coca leaf tea which is excellent for the altitude. Teatime everyday (tea, coffee, biscuits, popcorn), we offer vegetarian option, We provide available boiled water each morning for your water bottles.
- Guide:English-speaking professional guides, 2 guides over 8 people.
- Chef:Professional chef and Chef Assistants.
- Horses or Porters: For camping equipment, food and cooking gear as well to carry your personal items (5 kg per person) in duffel bags that we provide.
- Others: First aid kit and emergency oxygen bottle.
- Breakfast on the first morning. Some hotels offer early morning breakfast service.
- Lunch in the town of “Aguas Calientes” on the final day you must consider a budget of $15 to 20 USD in average restaurant.
- Entrance to the thermal baths in “Aguas Calientes” (optional) $6 USD.
- Tips for the staff.
Recomended Things To Take
- Bottle of mineral water.
- Rain gear and/or plastic poncho (can be purchased in Cusco).
- Hiking boots.
- Warm jacket or fleece, T-shirts, shorts, long pants, sun hat and wool hat.
- Sun block.
- Insect repellent.
- Toilet paper and garbage bag.
- Small towel and bathing suit (hot springs – optional).
- Camera, extra film and extra batteries.
- Snacks, chocolates, energy bars.
- Emergency money.
- Walking sticks (optional).
The Huchuy qosqo trek to Machu Picchu is available on any date that is best suited for you as long as we have a minimum of 2 hikers
COST OF THE TOUR
|TYPE OF TRAIN||PRICE PER PERSON IN US DOLLARS|
|Expedition class||US$ 360|
|Hiram Bimgham class|
Vistadome upgrade train for the way back: from US$57 per person.
Walking sticks: US$10 for the pair for the whole trek
Huayna Picchu Mt: US$30
PRIVATE TREK PRICE
2 people $450 USD
3-5 people $400 USD
6 -/+ people $350 USD
HOTEL IN AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN
Hotel for Huchuy Qosqo Trek in the town of Aguas Calientes
HOSTE PRESIDENTE OR SIMILAR
Address: Aguas Calientes town
Rooms with private bathroom, hot water 24 hrs, Wi-Fi, telephone, Cable TV, central heating, safe deposit box
Restaurant and bar
For Huchuy Qosqo trek, we require a non-refundable trek deposit of $150 USD per person. The deposit can be sent by a WESTERN UNION or to our BANK ACCOUNT by money transfer. This is the fastest and most secure form of payment in Peru. The money transfer should be in the name of “SUNRISE PERU TREK” TOUR OPERATOR E.I.R.L. Once you arrive in Cusco, you must pay the remaining balance in cash prior to beginning your tour. We accept both US Dollars and Peruvian Soles (local currency).
- Before booking this Trek:
- To book 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek, a minimum of 48 hours in advance is required. However we recommended long in advance due to we need to reserve the entrance to Machu Picchu and the train tickets.
- A minimum of 2 participants is required.
- The tour is conducted in two languages: English and Spanish.
- Level of requirement: A high physical level and a good state of health are required.
- You will need to carry your original passports or personal documents (with which reservations have been made / copies are not accepted).
- A 20-liter backpack or light briefcase per person.
- Trekking or hiking shoes.
- Clothing according to the season (rain poncho, short windbreaker)
- Sunscreen, repellent, hats and/or caps.
- Medicines and/or items for personal use.
- Camera or film camera.
- Additional money, preferably in soles in small denominations; they stop souvenirs, snacks and such.
Frequent Asked Questions for 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek
How difficult is the 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek?
It’s very hard to answer definitively, but if you’re reasonably fit the 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek is moderate but not difficult. Most walks are designed so that you can cover a comfortable distance each day while having enough power for the next. It is very important to acclimatize to the altitude.
Can I have vegetarian, vegan or special meals on the Trek?
We offer standard meals as well as a vegetarian meal option. Let us know if you would like vegetarian meals when you book you 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek.
Vegetarian meals do not contain red meat, chicken or fish. We will assume that eggs and dairy products are acceptable. We cannot cater specifically for vegans as it is too complicated for our cooks (remember they are cooking in a tent). Most of our main evening meals are buffet style, so you can always leave out what you don’t like. We can also cater for lactose intolerant and gluten free diets.
Do I need a permit for 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek?
This Trek does not require a permit like the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, but it is important to book in advance, as the trip requires train tickets and entrance to Machu Picchu, which are limited.
How many days will it take me to acclimatize to the altitude before 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek?
It is very important to be well acclimatized before going on this hike. This is why we require everyone to be in Cusco for at least 1 or 2 days before you start your trek. You can use this time spent acclimatizing to visit the city of Cusco, nearby Inca ruins, and the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
When do we arrive to Machu Picchu and how long do we spend there?
We will arrive to Machu Picchu early in the morning on day 3; we will try to take the early bus from the town of Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (25 minutes); Once in Machu Picchu, your trekking guide will take you on an informative for 2-3-hours, where you will visit the most important places in Machu Picchu and have plenty of time to take pictures. After the tour, you will have free time to explore. When you have finished All in Machu Picchu, you will take the bus to the town of Aguas Calientes, where you can have lunch in one of the restaurants.
Who carries our luggage for 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek?
Mules or pack horses will be provided to carry your belongings in duffel bags which we will provide one night before the tour (during the briefing time). Duffel bags will be transported from camp to camp. You will still need to bring a day backpack (30lts) to carry all the necessities you want or need like water, snacks, camera, sweater, raincoat.
Is the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu included in the price?
Yes, the entrance to Machu Picchu is included in the organized trip. However, if you wish to add additional activities such as climbing Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain, it will cost you an additional $60 per person.
What type of accommodation is used for 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek?
During the 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek & Machupicchu, we will use tents for the night and a hostel for one night in the town of Aguas Calientes. The tents are for 4-people capacity for only 2 people. Hikers will be served a bowl of hot water (and a hot drink) in their tents during the morning hours.
Can I store my luggage in your office?
Sure! During the 3-Day Huchuy Qosqo Trek, your main luggage can be stored in our office or at your hotel in Cusco, both are free.
What kind of food will we have during the Trek?
Our cooks prepare excellent energy meals suitable for a trek of this nature. The menu typically includes pasta, rice, chicken, fresh fruits and vegetables, and a variety of oatmeal, eggs, and other breakfast foods. Vegetarian alternatives are available upon request at time of booking.
Do I need walking stick?
Although not mandatory, walking sticks are recommended for any hiker concerned about joint stress or balance. They are also great for providing stability on particularly steep climbs and descents. If you don’t have poles or don’t know how to use them, we can rent them and provide instructions.
How many people are there per group?
The size of your group depends on the day’s activity. The maximum size of our group service is 8 people. For groups of more than eight people, we also employ an assistant guide to assist you.