March – January
Immerse yourself in the Inca culture as you hike 45 kilometers through the heart of the magnificent Andes. This 10-day Inca Trail expedition takes you along the best of Peru.
The Inca Trail Expeditions is one of the most popular 10-day Trekking Package in Peru. It offers an experience of the breathtaking landscape of the southern part of Peru that involves no difficult treks, and can be attempted by anyone who is reasonably fit and healthy. The 10-Day Inca Trail Expeditions offers an intriguing combination of beauty and contrasts in scenery, wildlife and cultures – whether you’re trekking the ancient Inca trail to Machu Picchu or scanning the canopy for wildlife from the comfort of our Lodge.
The 10-Day tour package of Inca Trail Expeditions begins once you arrive to the city of Cusco where you’ll explore the cultural and Natural highlights, then we’ll drive through the sacred valley of the Incas, hike the 45km of the ancient Inca Trail, explore full day the stunning Machu Picchu, and explore the AMAZON JUNGLE in the national park of Tambopata.
The 10-Day Inca Trail Expeditions is ideally to anyone taking a trip to Peru; the travellers should try to experience these two most beautiful regions of Peru the Andes and the Amazon. This tour takes you to these regions where you can appreciate some of the best preserved wildlife habitat.
10-Day Inca Trail Expeditions tour package is particularly well suited to families with children between the ages of five and twelve. It covers areas of Peru that are no higher than 4,200m above sea level, combining the exploration of its outstandingly beautiful countryside with an Amazon Jungle tour.
- Visit the city of Cusco
- Drive through the sacred Valley of the Incas
- Hike the 45 km or 26 miles of the famous trek to Machu Picchu
- Beautiful and special Inca ruins along the way
- Your first sight of Machu Picchu from Inti Punku (the Sun Gate)
- Explore the amazon jungle in Puerto Maldonado.
- Explore the city of Cusco.
- Sacred Valley of the Incas (Pisaq & Ollantaytambo).
- Guided Inca Trail 3-days.
- Machu Picchu Tour 1-day.
- Free time within Machu Picchu
- Amazon Jungle Trip (Puerto Maldonado).
Details of the Trip
- Timing: 10 days/ 9 nights
- Starting point at: Cusco airport.
- Ending point at: Purto Maldonado airport.
- Inca Trail Permits: Yes, required. 500 permits are issued daily. In the highest season the trail is booked several months in advance.
- Departure Dates: Any day with two people. We offer affordable tour prices for 2 people so that you can depart when it suits you best.
- Altitude: The Inca Trail begins at 2,750 masl/8,875 ft and the maximum altitude is 4,200 masl /13,818 ft. the Dead Woman pass.
- Temperatures: From minus 4ºC to 28ºC.
Short Trip Itinerary
DAY 1:Arrive to Cusco
Arrival to Cusco at any time, we will meet you in the airport.
DAY 2: Sacred Valley Tour: Ollantaytambo
Full-day guided tour through the Sacred Valley of the Incas; enjoy the local cuisine.
DAYS 3 – 6: Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
45-km trekking across the Andes – All included. On the last day, we will start very early to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu (if weather is good).
DAY 7: Day free in the city of Cusco
A resting day; you can enjoy the city or you can enjoy one of our day tours.
DAYS 8 – 9: Amazon jungle Trip
Explore the Amazon with a naturalist as a guide. Enjoy the jungle lodge and the local cuisine. In this tour, we included the round-trip flight tickets from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado.
DAY 10: Transfer out
Return to Cusco
Detailed Trip Itinerary
DAY 1: ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
The tour package of “Inca Trail Expeditions” begins once you arrive to the airport of Cusco at any time. However, we must know your flight details for your reception and transfer to the hotel. There will be a briefing about the tour and how to get around in the city. On this day, there is no planned activity. Walk slowly to get used to the altitude. Optionally, you can do our city tour programme that starts at 01:30 p.m. and ends at 6:30 p.m.
DAY 2: SACRED VALLEY OF THE INCAS
The Sacred valley tour starts when we pick you up at 8:00am from the hotel; the we travel toward the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Our first stop will be in the village of Pisaq, where we will visit the local market and also taste the traditional “Empanadas” ; after that we continue to the archaeological site of Pisac where we will see Inca terraces and more. We will have a guided tour for approximately 1 hour where our Tour guide will give us plenty of information about the most important sectors of this archaeological zone.
After the tour we’ll continue toward the Urubamba town where you can enjoy your lunch in one of the restaurants. After lunch we will continue to Ollantaytambo where we’ll visit the archaeological site of Ollantaytambo from where we will also see the impressive face of the Inca God called “Tunupa” carved into the hill. Many market stalls line the entrance to the site and we can check out some local handicraft. We’ll finish the Sacred Valley tour in the picturesque town of Ollantaytambo; here, you can purchase some items for the Inca trail.
DAYS 3 – 6: INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU
This morning, we’ll travel by private bus for 1 hour to Pisqak’ucho (km. 82), the starting point of the TREK. The porters and the guides organize everything for you. We carry your heavy gear. All you have to do is carry your daypack and enjoy the spectacular mountain scenery and the fascinating Inca sites. The first two days, we will walk for approximately 8 hours (including breaks).
On the third day, we will have a 5 hour-hike. The last day, we will start hiking (for 2 hours) early escorted by experienced guide to arrive for the sunrise to Machu Picchu. In the afternoon, we will take the train and return to Cusco. We’ll arrive in the evening and transfer you to your hotel.
- NOTE: The passengers who not able or nor interested in the hike of the Inca trail for spending 2 days in Cusco, and then travel by train to the picturesque town of “Aguas Calientes” with overnight. Next morning, you will take the bus up to Machu Picchu entrance and meet with the hikers at the ruins. If you decide not to do the hike, then we’ll need to know prior to your departure in order to obtain train tickets.
Distances of the Inca Trail:
Day 1: Km 82 to Llulluchapampa
Approximate distance: 15 km.
Estimated hiking time: 7-8 hours.
Day 2: Llulluchapampa – Chaquiccocha
Approximate distance: 15 km.
Estimated hiking time: 7 – 8 hours.
Day 3: Chaquiccocha – Wiñaywayna
Approximate distance: 10 km.
Estimated hiking time: 5 hours.
Day 4: Wiñaywayna to Intipunku (Sun Gate) – Machu Picchu
Approximate distance: 5 km.
Estimated hiking time: 2 hours.
DAY 7: FREE DAY
Your choice of either a rest day or taking optional tours in Cusco (city tour, rafting, riding, mountain biking, etc).
DAYS 8-9: JUNGLE TRIP
After breakfast, we will head to the airport and fly from Cusco, high in the Andes, to Puerto Maldonado, in the deep lowlands of the Amazon jungle. Then, we will travel by motorized canoe to our lodge located in the margin of the “Madre de Dios River”. We’ll explore the jungle with experienced local guides based in the Amazon.
About half of Peru is located within the Amazon Basin, however, due to its isolation, not a lot of it is available to the casual traveller.
During our trip, you will have the chance to see bird species typical of the river or forest edge such as Black Skimmers, Pied Lapwings, Capped Herons, Jabiru Storks, Roadside Hawks and several species of kingfishers, swallows, and flycatchers.
The area is renowned for its diverse plant and animal populations and include over 1,300 bird species (including 32 parrot species – 10% of the world’s total), 200 mammal species including 4 species of primates, 90 frog species, 1,200 butterfly species and 10,000 species of higher plants – all protected within the reserve.
DAY 9: TRANSFER OUT
After breakfast, we’ll leave the jungle lodge and transfer you to the airport in Puerto Maldonado to return to Cusco. Depending on your itinerary, the flight will be to Lima or Cusco.
10-Day Inca Trail Expeditions Includes
- Transportation:transfer in/out airport/hotel/airport, private bus from Cusco to Km 82, starting point of the Inca Trail, bus down from Machu Picchu to “Aguas Calientes”, tourist train from “Aguas Calientes” to Cusco, transfer to your hotel, round trip flight tickets from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado.
- Entrance fees:For the Sacred Valley and Inca Trail and Machu Picchu.
- Meals:All breakfasts in the hotels, as well as the meals in the jungle lodge and delicious meals on the Inca trail. 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners and 3 afternoon teas, we also offer a vegetarian option upon request, and we provide available boiled water each morning for your water bottles.
- Guide & Porters:Licensed bilingual tour guide (2 guides over 8 people).
- General Porters:For camping equipment, food and cooking gear.
- Extra Porter:To carry your personal items (6kg) in duffel bags that we provide. You must carry your daypack. Local guides for the Jungle trip.
- Camping equipment:We provide four people capacity tent for two people, brand new four season tents, therm-a-rest, dinning room tent, kitchen tent, toilet tent, seats, tables, tent for the guides and porters, cooking gear and backpacks, warm clothes and life insurance for the porters.
- Accommodations:Double Room : 3 nights in Cusco ***Hotel, 1 nights in Ollantaytambo ***; Hotel If you would like a private room there is an additional cost of $20.00 USD per night; 3 nights in camping tents, 2 nights Jungle Lodge.
- Others:Local guide for permanent assistance.
- First aid kit – Oxygen bottle for Inca trail.
Lunch and dinner while you stay in the city of Cusco and the town of “Aguas Calientes” (Machu Picchu); you must consider a budget from 15 to $25 USD for each meal.
Sleeping Bag: Can be rented in our office for $20 USD for the entire trek. Airport taxes and tips for the staff.
Minimum 2 persons
|TYPE OF TRAIN||PRICE PER PERSON|
|Expedition class||US$ 1,580|
|Vistadome class||US$ 1,610|
|Hiram Bimgham class|
Optional Extras for the Inca Trail
- Sleeping Bag US$25
- Walking Pole US$10
- Single Tent Supplement US$30
HOTEL IN CUSCO – HOSTEL PRISMA OR SIMILAR
This is the Hotel included for Inca Trail Expeditions in the city of Cusco
Address: Matara 394, Cusco
Rating: 3 star
Guest rooms are well furnished with air conditioning and en suite facilities. The hotel also benefits from an o, cocktail bar and complimentary Wi-Fi. The hotel can arrange shuttles into the center of Cusco which is just over a 4 blocks away. Walking take you 10 minutes
THE JUNGLE LODGE
Address: Puerto Maldonado
This is the amazon Jungle lodge included for Inca Trail Expeditions
Sporting a traditional jungle theme, Eco Amazonia jungles lodge carefully combines being in the wilderness with the comforts of home. Guest rooms are tastefully decorated with modern amenities including air conditioning and an uninterrupted electricity supply.
The Lodge also benefits from an outdoor pool; The Lodge also boasts a lovely bar and restaurant serving up a whole host of Cusco.
For ten-day Inca trail Expeditions, we require a non-refundable trek deposit of $350 USD per person. The deposit can be sent by a WESTERN UNION or to our BANK ACCOUNT by money transfer. This is the fastest and most secure form of payment in Peru.
The money transfer should be in the name of “SUNRISE PERU TREK TOUR OPERATOR E.I.R.L”. Once you arrive in Cusco, you must pay the remaining balance in cash prior to beginning your tour. We accept both US Dollars and Peruvian Soles (local currency).
ESSENTIAL INFO FOR INCA TRAIL EXPEDITIONS
The Inca Trail Expeditions Group
Maximum group size for Inca Trail Expeditions is 8 passengers. Passengers come from a range of countries worldwide (average of 3 nationalities per group) and many will be solo travellers. You will find you have many things in common with your fellow travellers, including a passion for discovery and a strong interest in exploring the National Parks. “Inca Trail Expeditions” is designed for adults over 18 years old. While most passengers are aged 25-55, every year we get many people both above and below this age range.
All travellers over the age of 70 will be requested to complete a self-declaration of fitness form prior to travel. Our Inca Trail Expeditions are a unique holiday experience and much of your enjoyment will come from the team spirit of your group and the fun you’ll have together, as well as from the local setting. We cannot stress strongly enough the importance of bringing a positive attitude with you on tour; a sure guarantee to enjoying each and every moment, even in the adversity of the odd rainstorm!
Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)
Acute Mountain Sickness is also referred to as “Altitude Sickness”, and as the name indicates the illness is commonly encountered at exceptionally high altitudes, such as the summit area of the highest pass. AMS, once apparent, can be most effectively treated by immediately taking the affected person to a lower altitude. Often a drop as little as 500m will be sufficient. The symptoms of AMS include in the order normally experienced; headaches, nausea, anorexia, exhaustion, lassitude, rapid pulse, insomnia, swelling of the hands and feet and reduced urine output.
Trekkers can take precautions to at least minimize the severity of the illness, by maintaining a slow steady pace from day one, include an extra day of acclimatization at a high altitude and by drinking at least 3-4 liters of water every day. Preventative medicine is also available and you should consult your physician for specialist advice. Fluid build-up may cause a condition known as edema (or oedema), which can affect the lungs (pulmonary), preventing effective oxygen exchange, or affect the brain (cerebral) which will result in the swelling of the brain tissue.
The latter can be lethal if not treated immediately or if symptoms are ignored. Probably 40% of all people trekking the Inca trail will suffer to some extent from AMS. You should familiarize yourself with this condition and take preventative care. For more information on this sickness please click on the Action Guide to High Altitude.
Guides and Porters
Once on the Mountain, your well-equipped guides and porters will rank second only to your mental determination, in terms of important factors contributing to a successful Machu Picchu attempt. For the duration of your Inca Trail Expeditions, your guide will be your advisor, he will lead you through the Inca trail to Machu Picchu, and he will bring you very safely. It will be important that you work closely with him and take note of his advice.
Porters and cook
The porters do not only transport your gear and the supplies up to the mountain. Arriving at every camp site long before you, they will have already erected your tent on your arrival. In the evening they will also boil drinking and washing water and the cook will prepare dinner of a quality that has surprised many previous clients.
Should you encounter any difficulties meeting your transfer from the airport to the starting hotel, depending on which country you are in you can contact a SUNRISE PERU TREK representative on the following:
- Mauro Pedraza – Operations Manager
Mobile: +(51) 984 734633
- Henrry Chauca – Operations
Mobile: +(51) 950 313131
- Sharon Ovalle – SUNRISE PERU TREK Representatives Supervisor
Mobile: +(51) 974 359484