Going trekking to Machu Picchu in Peru? Let’s help you with a snapshot overview of what are likely the best treks to Machu Picchu in Peru. At least, they are currently the most popular treks in Peru, based on number of hikers.
Every year Peru attracts +250,000 trekkers. That also means that every year +250,000 people are faced with the hard choice of selecting which trekking destination to explore. Let’s face it – this is not an easy choice.
How odd it may sound the decision of choosing your favorite trek might actually be easier made in your home country (likely with proper internet connection also…) than in the bustling trekking and tourist area, where hundreds of trekking agencies inevitably will offer you different opinions as to which trek is the best trek to Machu Picchu in Peru.
Let us exemplify with a few relevant aspects of trekking which you need to consider, before being able to zoom in on the best trek to Machu Picchu in Peru, for you personally:
- What level of trekking difficulty are you seeking?
- How many days do you have available for trekkingl?
- Are you a budget traveler or is price less relevant for you?
- Looking for remote and hard camping treks?
- Are you alone, or with someone? Some treks in to Machu Picchu in Peru have Restricted Permits and hence requires a minimum of two people, and an authorized tourism company.
Below we’re listing the most popular trekking destinations to Machu Picchu in Peru. Hopefully these best treks to Machu Picchu in Peru crash-course will assist you further with selecting your favorite trekking destination.
Great trekking terrain! You’ll stand face-to-face with wonderful nature (mountains, Rivers, waterfalls, Inca ruins, Cloud forest, etc.). It‘s the shorter trek to Machu Picchu; it is like one day you walk for 6 -7 hours and one day you explore Machu Picchu; optionally you can climb the mountain of Huayna Picchu. In short, fantastic trekking experience.
- Trekking Difficulty: Easy to Medium
- Best Season: March to November
- Accommodation type: hotels in the town of Aguas Calientes
- Restricted Permits: Yes 250 /Day
- Max elevation: 2750 m, Sungate
Is the most popular trek in the world; great trekking terrain; Great Mountain scenery; comfortable trek with wonderful campsites; in recently toilets building has taken place along some parts of the trek. Is highly recommended to reserve several months in advance to avoid dissepiments; trekking this trek is without doubt a great option.
- Trekking Difficulty: Medium Difficulty
- Best Season: March- November
- Accommodation type: Campin tents
- Restricted Permits: Yes. 500/Day
- Max elevation: 4,200 m, Dead Woman’s Pass
The Luxury Inca Trail will allow you to stand face-to-face with the world’s wonder – Machu Picchu. You’ll enjoy Machu Picchu at the sunset and sunrise. This tour involves 4 days trekking and one day explore the iconic Machu Picchu; it’s perfect trekking for that without trekking experience.
- Trekking Difficulty: Moderate to diffjculty
- Best Season: March- November
- Accommodation type: Camping tents & Hotel
- Restricted Permits: Yes.
- Max elevation: 4,200 m, Dead Woman’s pass